I'm sure most financial people have heard of the Hogan Integrated
Banking system.  Back in the 70's Bernie Hogan did exactly what was
discussed here - he and a couple of programmers would spend their nights
and weekends in downtown Dallas at I believe RepublicBank.  In the end
they received a multimillion dollar banking system for "free".

Gary Garland Gregory, MS

-----------------------------<snip>--------------------
I believe that one problem with the model below in today's environment
is the need for strict security. I've worked in banking IT operations
all my career. At one location we gave time on the mainframe to a vendor

who had some products that plugged into IBM's CPCS (Check Processing
Control System) in exchange for free use of his software. I don't
believe there is any bank that would do that these days because of
security issues.

Tom Kelman
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
Tom, from my experience in finance-related industry (Futures and
Options), I have to agree. The concern for security today is such that
most firms wouldn't even let a potential ISV to SEE the computer, much
less use it, regardless of any security arrangements, software, etc.