"Timothy Sipples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>OK, moving on to the separate issue you raise.  It's an excellent question.
>As said, to a first order effect, IBM buying Candle (for example) did not
>expand the mainframe market.  And what I think you mean is expanding the
>number of products in the mainframe market.  The day before the acquisition
>there were X number of Candle products, and the day after there were still
>X number of the same products, so no change.

By 'expanding the market', I was referring to the context of
the original post - which was essentially about opportunities for
entrepreneurs, not about end users.   I simply cannot see how anyone,
anywhere, in any position can actually claim that IBM has made it easier for
a 'BT/I' to enter, or remain, in the mainframe market than it was in, say,
the 1970s or 1980s.   There is a term called 'barrier to entry', which seems
to be getting higher all the time.  This may be a natural progression, but
arguing that it isn't the case seems... odd.   Apologies, but I am somewhat
boggled by the line of reasoning in response.   While I realize nobody who
works for IBM can say, "Hey, IBM doesn't think there is any chance of
expanding the market, and therefore wants to consolidate/control it and milk
as much revenue as possible while it can", trying to claim that the duck is
a swan is a little insulting.

While I realize this isn't a venue for change, it *is* a discussion group -
but I also apologize if these replies annoy anyone.

Regards,
   Dean