Hi Tim,

I won't copy your entire message, but reading between the lines I think in essence you are saying that the MVS part of Z/OS is effectively dead, done and finished as far as IBM is concerned?

Or would like it to be ...

Is that the truth?

Cheers,

Clem

Timothy Sipples wrote:

Chris Craddock writes:
If they're written in C or C++, you recompile them and run them
on z/OS, probably with USS.
Spoken like someone who's never actually tried it. There are things that
port easily and things that don't. In my own (hands on) experience it
isn't nearly as easy as the glossies would have you believe.
Particularly with respect to code-pages, character sets etc.

Someone asked how you'd port from Linux to z/OS.  I answered the question.
I think a fair reading of what I wrote would indicate that I'm not trying
to hide anything.  C/C++ is not portable -- sorry to repeat that shocking
news :-) -- and z/OS is not Linux is not Microsoft Windows.

That said, for a BT/I with a new idea (which spawned this particular
discussion), would the BT/I be writing code in C/C++?  Computerworld just
declared at least C a dead language, so does that mean it's official? :-)