Chase, John wrote:
[...]
> ITYM "dumb" rather than "stupid" ("dumb" is curable via education;
> "stupid" is as "stupid" does).

That was actually a stated policy in a university (!!) where I worked
previously.  In that boss's own words, "If we allow you more training,
your marketability will be enhanced and you'll leave us for more money
somewhere else."

It is quite common HR policy. It is usually kept 'in secret' (in silence at least), becasue it nothing to be proud of, but it is in quite common use. From the other hand I know companies in Poland where people work for two reasons:
a) to get some experience, take some classes and go away with better CV.
b) because they don't want to learn, they don't want to work to hard, usually they rather stupid than dumb.

Since I part of my job is teaching on mainframe courses, I often meet them (only mainframe staff in fact) and observe their careers. Sometimes one can distinguish a and b -types during first lab.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.