On Jul 19, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:57 PM, Sridhar K Veena wrote:

G'day,

Please let me know if there is a way to extract all the jobs (with start and end times) from spool. The requirement is to provide a daily report
on jobs that ran, with their start time, end time and return code.

Is there a way I can use SDSF pgm to extract contents of all the jobs
(or JESMSGLG of all the jobs) in spool to a dataset.  Then I can use
REXX to generate the reqd report.

Please note, we do not have any other tools (like JHS) other than SDSF !

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Thanks
Sridhar K Veena

You can use SORT selecting out type 5 records and any jobnames you like and then send the output to DAF (free on the CBT TAPE).

Ed

As others have said type 5 is semi OK Type 35 records are OK but are somewhat complex. They have offsets that are almost impossible to use, probably only SAS and assembler (maybe PL1). But if you only need start stop date and jobname its probably OK to use type 35. I have never seen a type 5 record lost in 40 years of working with SMF.
 Of course if you don't record type 5 then by all means use type 35.
Ed