On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:35:45 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:19:27 -0400, Art Celestini wrote:
>
>>I don't know about any clock simulators, Ed, but I went and found the code
>>that was involved and it was the CONVTOD macro that accepted a maximum date
>>of September 17, 2042.  Ed Jaffe pointed out that the hardware does not yet
>>support higher dates, but I might argue that the software (CONVTOD) still
>>could, at least when using the STCKE/ETOD format.
>>
>Could.  But how much foresight did systems show in anticipating Y2K?
>Would you expect preparation for Y2.042K 35 years in advance?

The TOD epoch was original 1960-01-01, and was changed to 1900 only later,
doubtless because the 1960 base didn't allow for a sufficient range of dates
in the past. If you overlook the failure to consider past dates, a clock
with much better than microsecond resolution that wouldn't expire until 2102
doesn't seem to lack so much foresight.

Tony H.