On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:57:30 -0500, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>//   EXEC PGM=BPXBATSL,
>//       PARM='PGM /bin/cp //DD:LIB(&MEM) //DD:OUT'

o To my knowledge, the "//DD:..." construct is not documented as
  a facility of /bin/cp.  It may happen to work in some cases,
  but if it produces unexpected or undesired results, it won't
  be supported.

o ISTR bad APF entanglements with BPXBATSL:

   #BPXBATR.1 "z/OS V1R7.0 UNIX System Services Command Reference"

                                                   ... Failure to meet the
   following conditions will result in a failure when BPXBATSL is invoked.

     * The invoker must have an UID of 0 to issue a SH request
     * The child process is not setuid or setgid to a value different from
       the parent
     * The spawned filename is not an external link or a sticky bit file
     * The parent has enough resources to allow the child process to reside
       in the same address space

One or more of these have tripped me up in the past.

-- gil