On 12 Oct 2007 07:07:18 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (R.S.) wrote:

>Bad assumption IMHO. Mainframe is a dino, a lot of things still exist on
>mainframe because of conservative users. At a risk of starting new war I
>can provide some examples:
>a) VSE. It is obsolete, insecure, in fact "moribound". Oftenly it is run
>on very small machines, so this workload could be easily run on cheaper
>platform. The problem is nobody migrated the application.
>b) IMS. Yeah, I know that many big companies still use it and are very
>happy of it. Question is how many *new* applications are IMS-based, why
>other platforms do not have IMS-like database. They have DB2 and other
>relational databases, but not IMS.
>c) ISAM. It is dead now. Death sentence was known for 30+ years. Even
>few years ago there still were shops using ISAM files.
>d) TPF. Similar status to VSE.

Mainframes that are designed around these facilities are not the only
mainframes.    Some mainframes are around providing the fastest, most
efficient, and most secure database.

Just because the old paradigm has changed, doesn't mean every tool
that worked with the old way is inappropriate for the new way.