-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Howard Brazee
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:22 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to read source from a PDS member

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:43:51 -0400, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you
wrote:

>I need to read source code from a PDS member whose name I don't know
>until my program runs, much the same as the COBOL compiler handles
>"COPY memname" statements.  Is dynalloc the only way to go about it or
does zOS provide a nice friendly interface that lets me ask for source
member data a line at a time?  Something comparable to VSE's LIBRM would
be ideal.

CoBOL compilers handle COPY commands at compile time, not run time.
But you didn't indicate that your source code is CoBOL, it may be some
real-time language.    Could you provide more detail?
<snip>

I didn't get the original message.

But the question is, what language are you using, and how do you find
out what the member is that you need to read?

>From this, a better answer can be given. If you are writing an ALC
program, you will need to start with BLDL and a DCB to match. Your DD
will have to point to the PDS (not member specific).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed are my own. --