On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:24:19 -0500, Tom Schmidt wrote:

>z/OS has the venerable OPEN-J service that might be what you are looking for
>here.  Check the z/OS publications for the OPEN macro's TYPE=J operand.

Those fixated on performance will object to performing an OPEN
for each member rather than a single OPEN and multiple FINDs.

>If you are looking from the perspective of a higher-level language such as C
>(although I might otherwise argue that point) then you can use BPXDYN
>service to switch both member name and dataset name.

Ah, I forgot; as you note BPXWDYN also has a CALL interface (and
in one convoluted case I encountered TSO's 100-character PARM
limit; I resorted to several ALLOCATEs and a BPXWDYN CONCAT).
But it isn't suited to the task of accessing various members from
a given DDNAME (Suppose the DDNAME is a mixed concatenation of
PDS[E]s and HFS directories).

-- gil