On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:24:12 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:24:19 -0500, Tom Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>z/OS has the venerable OPEN-J service that might be what you are looking
for
>>here.  Check the z/OS publications for the OPEN macro's TYPE=J operand.
>>
>Those fixated on performance will object to performing an OPEN
>for each member rather than a single OPEN and multiple FINDs.

OP did not state any performance requirements; he was interested only in
alternatives to DYNALLOC.  I provided him with one.

Furthermore, OPEN-J has a different path length than traditional OPEN.  Run a
few benchmarks.

I agree with you & others that BPAM is yet another possible alternative for OP
to consider.

Different strokes for different folks.

--
Tom Schmidt