On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:21:44 -0600 Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:43:51 -0400, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you
:>wrote:

:>>I need to read source code from a PDS member whose name I don't know until
my program runs, much the same as the COBOL
:>>compiler handles "COPY memname" statements.  Is dynalloc the only way to go
about it or does zOS provide a nice friendly
:>>interface that lets me ask for source member data a line at a time?
Something comparable to VSE's LIBRM would be ideal.

:>CoBOL compilers handle COPY commands at compile time, not run time.
:>But you didn't indicate that your source code is CoBOL, it may be some
:>real-time language.    Could you provide more detail?

BPAM is not THAT unfriendly.

A while back (probably before many lurkers on this list were born, but I
digress) I wrote a set of subroutines called QPAM to hide the tricky stuff
from the programmer (don't know if I can give it out).

    QPAM GET   - get next record
    QPAM PUT   - put a record
    QPAM TRUNC - force a write of all queued blocks
    QPAM RLSE  - stop reading current member

You still hard coded the FIND and STOW, but they are rather simple.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com