Peter,

as far as I know the restart interrupt from the HMC with options
abend-resume-repair are supposed to correspond to the
spin(resume)-retry(repair)-term(abend) options of automatic exspin recovery.
If you ever want to test this again, put your PHUNLOOP job into sysstc -
improves the chances of it running quite a bit! :-)

Santosh,

the big dispatcher rewrite that got rid of running tcb chains in every address
space once and for all occured with MVS 5.1. That release introduced a
completely different mechanism (the WEBs) for indicating that work is ready to
run. There have been bits and pieces around this since then, but that design is
quite a solid one. And there are (and were) quite more dispatchable units of
work than 'just' tcbs; just look at macro IHAWEB for the different types.
(Peter was faster than I on this!)

And given that an lpar these days uses logical processors, I would be really
reluctant to even *attempt* to introduce a machine check to a processor.
Whenever I have to stop the processors for a test lpar to see the psw and get
an idea if it is doing anything or juat waiting , we have a discussion if that
will affect other lpars sharing the same physical processor!

Regards, Barbara Nitz