From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jim Mulder
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:22 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS 1.8 Conditional Storage Obtain/Getmain Return Code

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 10/25/2007

03:20:31 PM:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2A980/67.2
> 8?SHELF=IEA2BK80&DT=20070514031429&CASE=
>
> Which states:
>
> When running in an AMODE64 environment, only the low half of GPR15
> contains a return code. There is no guarantee for the contents of the
> high half of GPR15.

 I don't think that VSM changed the r15 behavior  in z/OS v1.8.  More
likely, someone requested that the documentation be updated to attempt
to better describe the existing behavior.  However, as you point out,
"an AMODE64 environment" is rather nebulous terminology, and in fact
Amode has nothing to do with this.  The fact is that VSM sets a return
code in bits 32-63 of GPR15, and does not at that point do anything
to change the contents of bits 0-31 of GPR15, and that is the same
behavior which existed prior to z/OS v1.8.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY