Webster, Chris wrote:
Part of the concern here is whether the use of LTGR is valid after any
SVC/PC/callable service or, it can be used with some or, it must be used
with some.

The posting was to let others know about the change in behavior
(intended or otherwise).

This problem has been discussed before on ASSEMBLER-LIST. Believe me, it's not just GETMAIN. Many services are now destroying the high halves of registers 14-1. Whether it's "right" or not depends on your assumptions. I don't like it because a 64-bit caller can't invoke an old 31-bit program -- written years ago before z/Architecture -- that uses system services without risk that the old 31-bit program is going to destroy the high halves of some registers. Since only the work registers are trashed, some argued it was OK.

Either way, it is what it is. Get used to it.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc