One consequence might be shooting oneself in the foot. Or one's customers.

Check out OA22812 , which describes a problem configuring storage offline.
The problem is real, by the way; an APAR fix is available.

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  An abend0C4 RC38 can occur during CF STOR processing.
  The IARURFRM SRB subroutine PAGQUE issues a CMSET SSARTO
  while running in AMODE64, however, SYSSTATE AMODE64(YES) has
  NOT been issued.  As a result, the CMSET macro generates
  incorrect code for AMODE64.  The "dirty" high half of R15 causes
  the abend0C4.
  In the reported problem, the result was the nonquiescable
  IARURFRM SRB was repeatedly rescheduled, and when other (normal)
  processing in *MASTER* issued a STATUS STOP,SRBS the STATUS STOP
  could not complete resulting in a hange in *MASTER*.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             "Farley, Peter
             x23353"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             ADRIDGE.COM>              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Sent by: IBM                                               cc
             Mainframe
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: z/OS 1.8 Conditional Storage
             .EDU>                     Obtain/Getmain Return Code

             10/26/2007 07:34
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

<grumble-rant>
PMFJI here, but why on earth not?  I mean, aside from the sheer magnitude
of
the effort, which is NOT an excuse not to do it.  Isn't this supposed to be
a 64-bit OS?  Why shouldn't ALL services of a 64-bit OS return 64-bit
information codes?  As part of the transition to a "real" 64-bit OS, why
wouldn't it be the (or at least *a*) #1 priority to be sure all system
interfaces were 64-bit-clean?

I know, I know, "...waste of scarce developer resources..." -- but why are
those resources so scarce?  IBM is a multi-billion-dollar-profit
corporation, so there is no fiscal excuse for scarce developer resources.
And it's not like the talent is scarce either, it's just that we're closer
to retirement age than makes HR departments happy.  And we're not cheap
labor either.
</grumble-rant>

Thanks for listening.  Happy Friday.

Peter