that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> It's an interesting bit of history that the first Tandem machine wasn't
> available until 1976, well after the first electronic ATM (1967) and lots
> of other ATMs.  From what I've read the first networked ATM appeared in
> 1968, and the first "popular" ATM (i.e. same model placed into service by
> more than one bank) was the IBM 2984 starting in 1973.  The IBM 2984
> offered variable cash withdrawals and instantly deducted from your account,
> so it was 100% on-line -- 34 years ago.  (I remember my father using our
> local bank's first ATM, newly installed, when I was a young child.  It
> seemed like magic.)  Presumably most if not all of these ATMs connected to
> IBM System/360s and /370s.  Tandem came along after almost a decade of
> ATMs.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#6 ATMs

early work was done at los gatos lab ... before i was spending any time
there. however, i do remember people talking about having worked on the
development. they had large supply of bills from numerous different
countries ... which they kept in a locked vault in the basement (for
testing with the machines during development). they also mentioned story
about one of the early machines going in across the street from a fast
food resturant and kids feeding condiment packets into the card slot
(one of the early bug fixes was countermeasure for such an attack).

old posts reference 2984
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#5 Materiel and graft
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#40 New attacks on the financial PIN
processing