On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:10:04 -0600, Glenn Miller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My experience has shown that most ATM's are 'connected' to
>HP/Tandem NonStop systems.  ...  The 'driving' of the ATM's is
>defined as loading/managing the ATM machine's software,
>receiving/transmitting messages to/from the ATM's, collecting
>error information, etc.  When the ATM user requests a 'function'
>that needs to check the user's account balance, the
>Tandem application software ( called: Base24 ) builds a message
>to our back- end CICS applications.  So, the ATM is 'kinda' connected
>to the mainframe, just not directly.  ...

That sounds pretty much like the way it works at a bank I am
somewhat famiiar with (i.e., my employer).  I don't know the
details (and probably shouldn't mention them if I did) but they ATMs
effectively talk with the mainframes for any mainframe-based
transactions, but the Tandem/HP is always there, and "stands in"
for the mainframe if anything slows down communication with the
mainframe transactions.  Because of the Tandems, the ATMs are
never "offline". The Tandem applications go into some sort of
"store and forward" mode when communication with mainframe's
transaction servers gets bogged down for any reason.

Pat O'Keefe