On Nov 9, 2007, at 12:17 PM, J R wrote:
---------SNIP----------------------

Most financial institutions use mainframe back-ends.
Whether they use mainframes or something else for
their front-ends usually comes down to politics and
bigotry, depending on who's making the decisions.
If the (wo)man in charge came up through the Tandem
ranks, well that's probably what they use.

J R:

I have worked for 2 banks in my life. The First one (out of business now) had their online savings system on the MF no PC's (or mini's) anywhere to be seen. The second was different. I don't pretend to understand it but can skimpily talk about it. The MF was the back end and if it was down we were penalized (read big bucks) if it was down as a mini (someplace) took over.

I never banked there (for various unrelated reasons). The system I use in real life (ATM) has never been down (at least when I tried to use it) so I guess I am a happy customer (read ATM not the bank).

Ed