Hi all,

We have a highly used randomly accessed read-only VSAM KSDS that is managed
by Hiperbatch during the Production batch window.  Unfortunately, some of
the jobs that use it are still seeing unacceptably high I/O counts and long
elapsed times.

I have been asked to improve the performance of these jobs in my application
area.  I think I need to determine if Hiperbatch is still the best way for
our programs to access this file, or whether BLSR or the newer SMB buffering
will produce better results overall.

Many tens, perhaps hundreds, of jobs probably access this file over the
course of the batch window.  My experience so far is that I can get
proveably better performance than Production gets from an individual job by
using BLSR or SMB in place of Hiperbatch, but I have no handle on how
exchanging one central memory repository (Hiperbatch) for tens or hundreds
of jobs buffering the file themselves will affect overall system performance
and thus the performance of all the jobs that use the file.

I also haven't got test access to Hiperbatch (yet), so it's kind of hard to
run comparison tests myself at the moment.  That may change, but it will
take a while before I can think about having that access.

Is there a way for an individual job to "opt out" of letting Hiperbatch
manage a particular file?  Without stopping other jobs from continuing to
use it?

Advice, pointers to redbooks or whitepapers, any help at all gratefully
accepted.

Peter

P.S. -- I do NOT have access to SMF records, I do NOT have access to
DCOLLECT, nor any other real performance measurement tools.  I'm just the
programmer trying to improve the job's performance based on what I see in
the JESMSGLG and JESYSMSG outputs.

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.