I must differ with you.  We use Hiperbatch all night long in many, many jobs
that use the file randomly and simultaneously (and my SMF gurus have the
data and reports to back that up).  Also, here is a quote from the last
published Hiperbatch manual:

Hiperbatch can place data in a DLF object only when the job reads or writes
the data set sequentially. Once data is in the DLF object, then jobs can
read the data from the object both randomly and sequentially.

URL for the Hiperbatch manual is here (watch the wrap):

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA5J700/2.2.2?SH
ELF=EZ2ZO10I&DT=19990208095033#HDRRANDOM

> SMB is a great tool and can be used for any kind of access, but you have
> to pay attention in the ACB of the program that opens the dataset. If ACB
> specifies RANDOM and SEQUENTIAL, (ACCESS MODE IS DYNAMIC in Cobol) you
> have to select the most appropriate in JCL, otherwise your job can suffer.

Agreed.  BTDT, and when you select the right ACCBIAS it works very well.

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.