On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:29:47 -0600, Mark Zelden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>I'm just curious, what sorts of things can a Rexx program can do that
>>doesn't interact with TSO or ISPF (or...)?

The key is in that "(or...)".   It may not have TSO or ISPF, but it has
some "or" that provides a functioning environment.

>The same sort of things you can do in other programming languages
>without TSO / ISPF  - even SAS :-).    Read a file, process it, write a file,
>look at storage / control blocks, etc.
>
>Many of the utilities on my web site run fine with IRXJCL.

IRXJCL  provides an "or ..." environment where the REXX interpreter can
execute.

And beyond IRXJCL, the programmatic invocation of REXX via IRXINIT
allows the invoking environment to provide the storage management,
I/O, etc. routines that the REXX interpreter will use so that REXX can
be smoothly integrated into that invoking environment.   I assume that
is what SAS does.  I *know* that is what NetView does.  NetView
initialization requires REXX; the primary initialization routines are written
in REXX.

The TSO REXX Reference manual goes into great detail describing how
to run REXX on MVS in a non-TSO environment.

And of course there are REXX interpreters that run in non-MVS
environments with their own "or ...".  (Take a look at Regina, for
instance.)  I've heard that even VM has REXX.  :-)

Pat O'Keefe