But the whole point it seems to me is that with batch TSO we are talking about what can be done by someone who already has the ability to submit a batch job. If you have batch job capability you don't have to execute batch TMP to be able to allocate datasets, as that can already be done via JCL DD statements or internally in various utilities. One can directly invoke utilities as a job step to examine dataset attributes, list members or contents of members of PDSs, invoke APF authorized programs, or invoke IDCAMS functions, etc., etc. You can even simulate dynamic dataset allocation by using a program implemented in REXX or some other language to dynamically generate and submit another job to an Internal Reader.

I would contend that batch TMP (and batch ISPF) doesn't really give the batch user any fundamental power to do good or ill that is not already there in other forms in the batch environment, it just adds some convenient, and in some cases more efficient, additional ways to do things.