On Jan 10, 2008, at 3:16 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

Oh please... My greatest difficulty in moving to the USA is learning how to spell so many words incorrectly!

I used to work, out of Mississauga, for a US-based company, where everybody else was based in Buffalo, Dallas, & Santa Ana.
I was producing capacity reports on a weekly basis.
The title was: "Processor Utilisation".

My manager told me to change the spelling of "Utilisation", so I did.

"Usage".

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!

Ted:

I think I have told this story on here, but seeing that this thread won't die I will repeat it. Back in the early 80's I was hired at a company that (I didn't know at the time or I would never have accepted a position there) they were extremely cheap. By cheap meaning leaving tiles missing in the computer room so they didn't replace them when they were broken and people would fall into the holes. In any case The problem was that we were hired to bring up MVS. They had been using CICS & Pan for everything. We found out that the CICS PAN would not work in MVS. So we did a proposal to get TSO. With TSO came ISPF and a few other products. To make this story short we handed the proposal in and about the next day the VP came back and tossed the proposal back on the desk and it scattered all over the place. The words he said I will almost never forget: "You used the British spelling of utilization ". I was so mad I could have spit. We went over the document word by word and that was the *ONLY* issue in the document. So we got the secretary to correct it and I walked into the VP's office and handed it to him and said its been fixed and walked out. He thought by throwing it back at us it would go away we did not take no for the answer and I walked a copy to the then President of the company and asked that he read it and see what he thought. A few days later I got a call from his secretary asking that I come over to see him. When I walked into the room the VP was there and I thought this is it and I am out of a job. Much to my surprise the President said he had read the proposal and was impressed with it. He was somewhat concerned about the money involved as he said the budget was tight. He also said that he was going to have to go to the members to get more money (story deleted) but that the paper was pretty good with the financial's and that he would only add a cover page when he gave them the pitch.

Bottom line he got the money and they didn't even squeak about it. His page that he added said that the request for the money would only cost the members a penny a trade (option traders). The VP looked like a jerk he was in front of the President over a small "misspelling".

Ed