On 16 Jan 2008 16:48:35 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shmuel
Metz  , Seymour J.) wrote:

>I make spelling errors, and I run a spell checker in an attempt to catch
>them, but if I blindly accepted every proposed "correction" my prose would
>be far worse than it is. Spell checkers in the real world are only useful
>to authors, and then only when used selectively.

There are many ways for spell checking to be improved - if there was a
paying market for people to work on them.    Or if there were
sufficient hobbyists to solve them.

One issue is that a system needs layers of spell checking.   A
novelist would want a name recognized in one novel, a work group would
want to share jargon for that work group, etc.

And entering new words, there should be the option to enter rules,
indicating whether it is a proper name, what plural(s) are accepted,
and even how to handle words like "iPod" or "dBase" at the beginning
of a sentence.

Another thing that would be useful would be something that showed
whether you are talking Jack Nicklaus (golf), Jack Nichols (director),
or Jack Nicholson (Actor). - or H. G. Wells vs Orson Welles.

Other multiple word spellings (besides names) can include "hors
d'oeuvre", or that my "plural(s)" above is correct.

I don't know how Germans do spell checking with their compound words.