On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:30:08 -0600, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This just came up. Which is better: to allocate more, smaller, SORTWKnn
>DD statements, or fewer, larger, SORTWKnn DD statements, or does it not
>really matter. By "better", I mean: "Which will result in a shorter run
>time?".
>
>The question came up due to a huge sort this weekend. DFSORT wanted to
>allocate the SORTWKnn space > 3390-3 volume. We only have 3390-3
>volumes. So the question is, do I update defaults to have more than 32
>volumes or do we consider creating 3390-9 volumes for SORTWKnn?
>
>This is IBM's DFSORT on z/OS 1.8. Yes, I am aware of Syncsort's MAXSORT
>capability. No, it will not be considered. End of discussion on that
>point, please.

Mostly, it doesn't matter... but as usual - it depends, YMMV, etc.   How many
control units / storage subsystems do you have?  How many paths?   Is
there enough contiguous space for a large sort (there is still a 16 extent
limit per SORKWKxx AFAIK).   I'm pretty sure there have been some
posts in the archive about this.   Have you reviewed the DFSORT tuning
manual (I have know idea it if answers your specific question)?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]