There can be a slight decrease in performance when you increase the number
of sortworks.  Going from say 32 to 48 or 64 probably won't have a major
impact.  However, jumping to something like 128 or 255, you will see a more
noticable impact.  If you want to send me the sysout from the sort, I can
take a look and see if there's any additional tuning we could do to improve
performance and/or decrease the sortwork requirement.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSORT Development, Performance Lead
IBM Corporation