On Jan 14, 2008, at 9:20 AM, McKown, John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Betten
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 8:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFSORT question

There can be a slight decrease in performance when you
increase the number
of sortworks.  Going from say 32 to 48 or 64 probably won't
have a major
impact.  However, jumping to something like 128 or 255, you
will see a more
noticable impact.  If you want to send me the sysout from the
sort, I can
take a look and see if there's any additional tuning we could
do to improve
performance and/or decrease the sortwork requirement.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten

We could of used you 20+ years ago we were sorting huge amounts of data (for the day). We kept bumping up against the max. We finally had no alternative to break the sort into smaller ones. This was one of the many reasons we went with Syncsort. I liked it at the time but over the years DFSORT has in many ways either caught up or surpassed it. If it hadn't been for the huge sort we did the company probably stayed with DFSORT. The other issue we had with DFSORT was that the demo tape they sent out had a MP bug in it and it would at random times go into a unending wait. We were (apparently) the only MP shop at the time. I will grant the problem was only MP oriented and that is why it took as long as it did to get the documentation and other info off to the DFSORT people to get the problem resolved. We could no wait and we finally decided on SYNCSORT.

Ed