On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:59:33 -0500, Pinnacle wrote:

>IND$FILE is slower at most installations because VTAM is not optimized for
>throughput, but instead for robustness of delivery.  I've been at some shops
>where VTAM screams and have gotten 1M (1000KB) per second with IND$FILE.  So
>it ain't always slower than FTP, and it's certainly more convenient, unless
>you have a GUI FTP.

Have you included in the equation that during an IND$FILE
transfer the terminal session is otherwise unavailable to
the user?  That hardly strikes me as convenient.

And comparing to a GUI FTP, is there anything like a GUI
interface to IND$FILE, or even point-and-shoot, short of
installing an add-on such as Simplist?

Hmmm.  Can I use IND$FILE in an OMVS or ISHELL dialogue?
Can I use it from the TSO command line to transfer z/OS
Unix files?  The stream character of Unix files should be
more compatible with desktop filesystems than CKD is.

-- gil