Hi Rob,
glad you are back and good luck with the new job.

Since you mentioned your favorite subjects Crypto and TOMCAT,
maybe you have some thoughts on this.

I had this problem out on the MVS-OE list a while ago and the Dovetailed
tech thought that the problem might be related to crypto.
i was running TOMCAT and JBOSS under JZOS on 2 different lpars, and they
worked fine on one lpar (both the same maintenance level of z/os 1.7)
but would not come up on the other. They would just stop when they got
to a certain place. The lpar where they did work was not running crypto,
but the failing lpar was. I took ICSF down but it did not seem to make a
difference.

Now that the failing lpar is running z/os 1.9, TOMCAT works fine even
with crypto running  (there appears to be an unrelated problem with
JBOSS).
We did not do any different customizations to crypto for z/os 1.9 but i
heard that there were major changes to it in z/os 1.9.
Of course, the problem running on the z/os 1.7 lpar may not have been
related to crypto, but it was basically the only difference between the
lpars.

Any ideas on why TOMCAT/JBOSS now work on z/os 1.9 with crypto running
whereas they failed on z/os 1.7?