Darren,
  That WOULD sound like a good SHARE requirement if it were true, however I
see no indication at:

http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/igy3pg40/2.4.2

to support this claim.  (Nor could I find it elsewhere in the current
Enterprise COBOL documentation).  Can you point me to something supporting
this view?  I went back thru some of the older bookshelves and couldn't find
this restriction ever being true.

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...