On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:17:40 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>Dave Cartwright wrote:
>> No, a VSAM cluster is turned into a flat file on migration and is cataloged
>> as a
>> NONVSAM dataset on volume MIGRAT.  If its device type is tape it shows as
>> MIGRAT2, else it's MIGRAT1.
>
>Too bad. That seems like a poor design choice in hindsight given the
>current topic.

Yah.  One would think it would be a single flag bit in either the
catalog or the MCDS well invested.

Why is there a NONVSAM option on HDELETE?  Wouldn't some programmers
find it similarly useful to have NONPDS and NONHFS, etc.?

But, needing to delete several VSAM data sets last night, I HMIGRATED
them first.  I find:

o All 3 components continue to appear in DSLIST, now as volume MIGRAT1.

o An attempt to HDELETE the DATA or INDEX component fails, telling me
  that the operation is prohibited for a component of a VSAM data set.

o HDELETEing the primary entry deletes all 3 components.

So, in deleting a VSAM data set HDELETE apparently exploited information
which this thread earlier alleged is available only after the data set
is recalled.  So, must all VSAM data sets be recalled to be deleted;
and, in fact, all data sets recalled in order to determine whether
they're VSAM on NONVSAM?  I earnestly hope not.  Perhaps inspecting
the first very few blocks suffices to determine whether the data set
is VSAM, in which case HDELETE NONVSAM should be able to exploit a
similar shortcut.

-- gil