Walt Farrell wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:03:41 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

William Bishop wrote:
The problem is that if you perfrom an IDCAMS DELETE and specify nonvsam,
HSM does a recall.  Without the nonvsam, he does an HDELETE if the dataset
is migrated.

This sounds APARable to me.

I don't think so, Ed.  I believe that the presence of "nonvsam" on the
command requires a recall so that IDCAMS can verify that it's a nonvsam
entry (it can't tell that while the data set is migrated).

I believe you'll find that if you had a VSAM file, and issued a DELETE ...
NONVSAM against it that the delete would fail.  Thus, with a migrated data
set IDCAMS needs it recalled or it might mistakenly delete a migrated VSAM
data set.

Hmmm. When a data set is migrated, the VTOC entry is removed. But, the catalog entry is still there (though the volume ID is changed to MIGRAT).

Can't IDCAMS tell from the catalog whether the migrated data set is VSAM or not? And, if VSAM, what kind of VSAM data set it is??

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc