----------------------<snip>------------------

-----------------------------<unsnip>---------------------
This is all very interesting but it doesn't address the issue of security very well. I'm stuck with
a direct COMCAST connection to my LAN that I can't disable without disabling my telephones as well.
So how to I assure that some "hacker" from outside doesn't "ghost" a virus or
some form of spyware onto my PC? Running WinXP Pro.

You don't have a firewall? I have a Netgear box which connects to my DSL
line. My PCs all connect to a switch which also connects to the Netgear
firewall. I don't run Windows. I run Linux. But the concepts that I use
should be the same. I only allow access to my LAN from a specific set of
incoming IP addresses. Of course, I don't allow ftp at all. I use SSH. I
think that there is an SSH server available for Windows, but I don't
really know.

Friends don't let friends drive Windows! [grin]
I'd appreciate it immensely if we could conduct a private dialog about the capabilities of your Netgear box. I'm a "babe in the woods" in these matters. My Linux experience consists of a few days of experimenting with Red-Hat 6.0.