Well, that's an interesting question, Rick.  In my situations, everything was
behind the firewall so there was little concern for hackers.  I do know that
the IIS on the WS can be setup with some security (userid, password, restricted
directory(ies), etc...

Is there any built-in security for FTP?  Perhaps encryption?

Oh, oh, oh...  I just had an idea.

One could send an email from the host to the workstation, no matter where it
was.  The email would contain an identifiable subject line.  Outlook could be
setup to look for that special subject and would save the email, file, etc...
in a directory that is monitored by a VBS.  Once a file is placed in that
directory, the script would move it elsewhere and then trigger an FTP GET from
the WS using the file/email contents to identify what is to be brought down
from the host, rather pushed down by the host.

Once down, do with the file as you will.

This is how I process the performance files I mentioned in my original post.  A
file arrives in a monitored directory, by a script, and the script then invokes
Excel to process the file.  When Excel is finished processing the file, it
either moves it to another directory or deletes it.  I have had this process
working for more than a couple of years now and the only trouble I ever
experienced, once up and working that is, was when the WS died from a disk
crash.

If the file on the host is a nothing special text file, and if it were small
enough (site specific) you could always just email the file to the WS and be
done with it.  To keep an eye on things I am responsible for, I send/email
files to my home email address all the time.  Yes, yes, I know it violates
certain security concerns and perhaps some auditors would get bent out of
shape.  However, the data in the files is nothing more than status information.
 If I wanted, I could even turn on an Outlook script that could identify those
emails of extreme importance and then send a text to my cell phone.

Oh, I forgot to mention.  This email processing is how I can retrieve files on
a WS via Outlook.  I send an email to a WS, setup for the process of course.
Once the identified email (special subject line identifier) is received, a
script will "reply" to the received email with the requested file attached.  I
can even have the file sent to one of a list of already-identified email
addresses.

I just know I am giving security-conscious lurkers acid-reflux with all this. ;)

 On Wed Mar 19 11:57 , Rick Fochtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent: