John,

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nobody else has asked, so I will. Why do you want to do this? I'm just
>curious.

I could tell you but I would have to kill you.

;)

Actually, I need to be able to determine what the original job name is.

Is the rule correct that every case - with no exceptions - of a
forked/spawned address space has a single digit from 1 to 9 appended to the
job name? If so, what happens after 9 such spawns?

In addition, in my case, I have a spawned Java job. I'm finding that the JBNI
and JBNS fields of both the ASCB and the ASSB point to the following names:

JBNI..... TESTJOB1     JBNS..... BPXAS

Now my question is can I rely and JBNS=BPXAS to determine the parent
address space's name is equal to the child address space's name minus the
child's last job name character?

For those not familiar with BPXAS, here's a little copy and past from what I
found:

Beginning with OS/390 Version 2 Release 4, OS/390 UNIX System Services
changed from usingAPPC initiators to Workload Manager (WLM) controlled
initiators. The initiator address space name isBPXAS instead of ASCHINT.
BPXAS is a special initiator with special interfaces to WLM and UNIXSystem
Services.Fork and spawn use a WLM service to get an address space to
process a request. The WLM servicechecks its queue to see if there is an idle
address space from a free pool of BPXAS address spacesthat are waiting for
work. If there are no idle BPXAS address spaces, WLM determines whether a
newone can be created based on system load. If the free pool is empty, an
ASCRE is done using thename BPXAS as the procedure to start a new one.
When a BPXAS address space is finished, theaddress space goes back into the
free pool. After 30 minutes of being idle, the address space isterminated.The
spawn service is another way to create a new process. It looks like fork(),
except that the newprocess is not a copy of the parent process. The child
process inherits file and socket descriptors, aswith the fork(). With a spawn,
the child process can be created in the parent address space.

TIA,
Jerry