Tony,

>Keep in mind that UNIX allows the parent process to go away without
>the child ending. In that case there will be no parent jobname. (Well
>obviously there *was* one at one time, but its control blocks may be
>long gone, and the address space reused.

I don't need the parent around any longer. I just need to know the parent's
job name.

>I wouldn't muck with that stuff. IBM has changed the algorithm in the
>past, and may do so again.

I had that intuitive feeling, too.

>What is it you are really trying to accomplish? Why is it useful to
>know the parent's jobname?

The program I'm working on sometimes depends on job name matching for its
logic.

>One thing you could do is call BPX1GPP to get the parent's PID

Can't go there. The program may receive control in a task above the initial job
step task (JST).

And now that I've had time to review yesterday's suggestion of BPXEKDA, I'm
uncertain that anything asking me for a megabyte output buffer is just what
the doctor ordered. Or can I obtain a much smaller buffer when the
BPXZODMV macro's input parms specifies "OdmvAsids"? (Anyone have a coding
example of setting up BPXZODMV for such a call?)

Even there, I will only get back the parent's PID and may not always be able
to translate that to the parent's job name. Well, at least such and invocation
can retrieve the current process's USERID. Is that correct? If so, curious:
what's the difference between these 2:

ODMVRUID DS    F         Process Real User Id
ODMVEUID DS    F         Process Effective User Id

Any other ideas? Or should I just assume that I can never GUARANTEE
knowing the parent job name for EVERY such process?

Jerry