On 20/03/2008, Support, DUNNIT SYSTEMS LTD. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Actually, I need to be able to determine what the original job name is.

Keep in mind that UNIX allows the parent process to go away without
the child ending. In that case there will be no parent jobname. (Well
obviously there *was* one at one time, but its control blocks may be
long gone, and the address space reused.

>  In addition, in my case, I have a spawned Java job. I'm finding that the JBNI
>  and JBNS fields of both the ASCB and the ASSB point to the following names:
>
>  JBNI..... TESTJOB1     JBNS..... BPXAS
>
>  Now my question is can I rely and JBNS=BPXAS to determine the parent
>  address space's name is equal to the child address space's name minus the
>  child's last job name character?

I wouldn't muck with that stuff. IBM has changed the algorithm in the
past, and may do so again.

What is it you are really trying to accomplish? Why is it useful to
know the parent's jobname?

One thing you could do is call BPX1GPP to get the parent's PID, and
then use that to call BPX1GTH, which among other things can return the
jobname for that process. These are supported things to do.

Tony H.