On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:38:09 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>It's just showing that you have 2 additional candidate volumes allocated.
They have not yet been assigned.

>It's a control block thing.
>It doesn't cost anything; it can protect you from future growth problems.
>
>The last two shops I worked at had 20 volumes allocated in most dataclasses.
>I would recommend the 59 vol max.
>It doesn't cost; it can save.
>Especially, since only the secondary allocation size is 'remembered' on all
future volumes.

It does cost.  It takes space in the TIOT.  IIRC, 4 bytes for each candidate.
Depending on how many DDs are in a step and the TIOT size defined in
ALLOCxx this could cause a problem.  It also can have an effect on catalog
space requirements.    In z/OS 1.3 IBM came up with  DVC (Dynamic
Volume Count) which only stores the volumes specified / used in the
catalog.  I'm not clear if it still takes up the same amount of space in
the TIOT - I would have to research that.

But now I am a little confused... the z/OS 1.6 manual that I opened up just
said that DVC is  "a feature supported only for multi-striped VSAM data sets"
and had the "changed bar" (|) next to it.

I am leaving for the day so someone perhaps can shed some light on
this and I'll follow up tomorrow.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden