On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:47:36 -0500, Greg Shirey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>According to this (somewhat old) redbook, the same amount of space is
>used.
>http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246979.pdf
>
>From the "SMS enhancements" chapter:
>"If a data set, with one primary and five candidate volumes was in a
>data class with a DVC of less than 7, then 24 bytes of TIOT space is
>required. If the same data set was using a data class with a DVC of 20,
>then it would require 80 bytes of TIOT space."

Thanks.   So no difference with DVC in respect to TIOT usage.   So going
back to Ted's post that I was responding to -  It does matter and I wouldn't
code volume count or DVC of 59 as a matter of habit just because I could.

>It also says this:
>"Note: DVC for VSAM striped data sets is supported even though they are
>not eligible for Space Constraint Relief."
>
>Is that more or less confusing?  :-)

Less.  Because it made me realize that  someone must have been trying to
change the z/OS 1.6 manual to clarify what the support was for DVC with
VSAM striped data sets and instead wrote  DVC was supported *only* for
multi-striped VSAM data sets.   A *HUGE* difference!    This part of the
manual was corrected (really re-written) for z/OS 1.7.  I just happened to
open up the 1.6 version because I had 1.6 through 1.9 on my lan
bookshelf list and that one was first.

However, the manual update (though z/OS 1.9) for DVC no longer mentions
VSAM striped data sets specifically, instead it spells out what DVC is not
supported for and also has this note:

     "Dynamic volume count support when a data set extends is a
     function of access method end-of-volume (EOV) processing and
     not the data set type. For products that do not use the
     standard IBM access method EOV interface for their data
     sets, DVC may not be supported.  Please consult with your
     product representative to see if it supports dynamic volume
     count."

Regards,

Mark
--