According to this (somewhat old) redbook, the same amount of space is
used.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246979.pdf

>From the "SMS enhancements" chapter:
"If a data set, with one primary and five candidate volumes was in a
data class with a DVC of less than 7, then 24 bytes of TIOT space is
required. If the same data set was using a data class with a DVC of 20,
then it would require 80 bytes of TIOT space."

It also says this:
"Note: DVC for VSAM striped data sets is supported even though they are
not eligible for Space Constraint Relief."

Is that more or less confusing?  :-)

Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Company

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List On Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Displaying multiple volumes allocated from DSLIST

It does cost.  It takes space in the TIOT.  IIRC, 4 bytes for each
candidate.
Depending on how many DDs are in a step and the TIOT size defined in
ALLOCxx this could cause a problem.  It also can have an effect on
catalog
space requirements.    In z/OS 1.3 IBM came up with  DVC (Dynamic
Volume Count) which only stores the volumes specified / used in the
catalog.  I'm not clear if it still takes up the same amount of space in
the TIOT - I would have to research that.

But now I am a little confused... the z/OS 1.6 manual that I opened up
just
said that DVC is  "a feature supported only for multi-striped VSAM data
sets"
and had the "changed bar" (|) next to it.

I am leaving for the day so someone perhaps can shed some light on
this and I'll follow up tomorrow.