What is the best color - purple. What is too high? That is for each of us to
decide for ourselves. Return on investment rules. I would start with if it
takes
longer to dump than it takes to fill then it is too high. There is nothing
wrong
with a 100 cylinder MANx or a 750 cylinder MANx dumping once or one hundred
times a day. What do you dump to and how you process it are factors for you
to consider. If you are still manually mounting tapes, then less frequent is
better. When the actual process of switching uses too many cycles for you,
that is too high. I am at a site where once a day is the goal. If you are
collecting record types you never use, and never will, that adds to too high a
volume. If you feel you need it (actually this is a high desire to have it)
then
you need it and you won't consider it too high a volume. The SMF data is
being collected based on your workload, so the more work your system does
the more records you can produce. Busier shops put more thought into what
they capture and how long they retain it than simpler shops with less
experienced people.