A comment on duplicate data. I haven't dug into the actual data produced by
IFASMFDL , but the doc says (in effect) that some duplicate records are
inevitable (my extrapolation) because the utility begins by dumping the
entire block that contains START time and continues through dumping the
entire block that contains END time. Thus some duplicate records are
unavoidable because on average the start and end time records are most
likely to fall somewhere within a block.

However, we process data with MXG, which my SMF SME assures me has no
problem with duplicate data.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Scott Barry
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .edu>                     Re: SMF System Logger - limitations
                                       of MANx

             03/26/2008 11:02
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .edu>

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:38:10 -0700, Skip Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We've had occasional episodes of lost data.

<snip>

Two points for consideration:

1) a possible technique for avoiding SMF data loss (such as SMF 101s or
116s -- you can decide an approach and types considered non-critical) is to

setup an automation rule that fires when the SYSLOG message occurs,
stating "SMF is at 75% BUFFERS..." (message IEE986E).  The SET SMF
command would then enable an alternate SMFPRMxx member deactivating
some subset of non-critical, large-volume contributor SMF record type(s),
such as SMF 101s.  At some point, the condition is relieved and the normal
production SMFPRMxx member would be re-enabled in a similar fashion, or
after some defined time-period.

2) the issue of duplicate SMF data occurring across IFASMFDL (SMF
Logstream enabled) dumps (see note #1 below) still does not get addressed,
without requiring a secondary data-filter pass (and/or sort with
noduplicates).  Some would say that this duplicate-data condition is
unacceptable, given the extra data handling required.  And it doesn't have
be linked to any accounting/chargeback scenario, either.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Note #1:  most concerning is intraday dumping, for example, using CA MICS
Incremental Database Update feature -- although MICS will reject any data
already processed.

Links:

BUFSIZMAX, BUFUSEWARN, and NOBUFFS - Specifying SMF buffer options
(mind any broken URL):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r9/topic/com.ibm.zos.r9.ieag20

0/buffopt.htm