On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:36:17 -0700, Skip Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A comment on duplicate data. I haven't dug into the actual data produced by
>IFASMFDL , but the doc says (in effect) that some duplicate records are
>inevitable (my extrapolation) because the utility begins by dumping the
>entire block that contains START time and continues through dumping the
>entire block that contains END time. Thus some duplicate records are
>unavoidable because on average the start and end time records are most
>likely to fall somewhere within a block.
>
>However, we process data with MXG, which my SMF SME assures me has no
>problem with duplicate data.
>
>.
>.
>JO.Skip Robinson
>Southern California Edison Company
>Electric Dragon Team Paddler
>SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
>626-302-7535 Office
>323-715-0595 Mobile
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>             Scott Barry
>             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>             COM>                                                       To
>             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>             Mainframe                                                  cc
>             Discussion List
>             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
>             .edu>                     Re: SMF System Logger - limitations
>                                       of MANx
>
>             03/26/2008 11:02
>             AM
>

>             Please respond to
>               IBM Mainframe
>              Discussion List
>             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                   .edu>
>

>On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:38:10 -0700, Skip Robinson
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>We've had occasional episodes of lost data.
>>

><snip>
>

>Two points for consideration:
>
>1) a possible technique for avoiding SMF data loss (such as SMF 101s or
>116s -- you can decide an approach and types considered non-critical) is to
>
>setup an automation rule that fires when the SYSLOG message occurs,
>stating "SMF is at 75% BUFFERS..." (message IEE986E).  The SET SMF
>command would then enable an alternate SMFPRMxx member deactivating
>some subset of non-critical, large-volume contributor SMF record type(s),
>such as SMF 101s.  At some point, the condition is relieved and the normal
>production SMFPRMxx member would be re-enabled in a similar fashion, or
>after some defined time-period.
>
>2) the issue of duplicate SMF data occurring across IFASMFDL (SMF
>Logstream enabled) dumps (see note #1 below) still does not get addressed,
>without requiring a secondary data-filter pass (and/or sort with
>noduplicates).  Some would say that this duplicate-data condition is
>unacceptable, given the extra data handling required.  And it doesn't have
>be linked to any accounting/chargeback scenario, either.
>

>Scott Barry
>SBBWorks, Inc.
> [...]

For MXG data sources such as CICS, DB2, IMS (large-volume candidates and
out-of-the-box MXG), there is no SORT NODUP operation performed during
PDB build processing to remove adjacent duplicate records -- these PDB files
are typically copied directly to their final destination, normally tape due to
volume.  Also, PDB build processing does not provide a check for "prior input
data already processed - this record rejected".  I do realize that SMF record
types have header timestamps only granular to 1/100 of a second -- another
challenge exacerbated by SMF System Logger deployment, because, again,
dumping a MANx file represented a finite start and end point as compared to
the SMF Syste Logger architecture providing a continuous data-pipe.

Sincerely,

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.