I've learned to update the one used at IPL time.  Then make the change
dynamically specifying that member to be used.  That way things "SHOULD" be
the same upon the next IPL of one of the systems.

The biggest problem I run into are enqueues that will not release, thus
holding up the dynamic RNL change.  Depending on how badly the new RNL is
wanted, eventually we end up with a plex-wide shutdown and restart in this
instance.  Although I will try again several times, trying to pick a point
where the "hanging" enqueue may be gone.

Your method is still perilous.  Since I make the change dynamically first, I
feel good things will be fine at the next IPL.

In your case, you probably could have made a dynamic change on the running
system to the RNL definition the other system pointed to, then RE-IPL the
down system.

This is all part of the learning process for sysplex.  Once things
stabilize, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.  <vbg>