Barbara,

Thanks for the explanation. I think you have "hit the nail on the head" as
to what caused our "outage". I don't really mind what GRS does, except
that this "outage" (actually a slow down) gets a sev 1 from the end users
which is "50 pain points". From what my manager says, this causes the
bovine excrement to impact the air moving device in meetings. And, as long
as I am as ignorant as I am (training? we don't need no stinkin'
training!) about what can happen in a basic (not parallel) sysplex, then
we are going to get "much pain". And this just give more ammo to the "the
mainframe is a piece of crap" people. They have their "religion" and I
have mine. Mine seems based a bit more on past history than theirs. But
that doesn't matter. A bit like "political correctness" in the US. Is it
any wonder that I am paranoid?

We pressed for a parallel sysplex, but it was "too expensive" and "not
worth the cost" ($175,000 US for a CFL was what I was told we were quoted.
Firm price, no futher discounts, pay up or forget it.) This means that I
cannot put up a SFM to automate any kind of recovery.

Has anybody tried doing SFM-like recovery using an automated operator? Can
I reply "DOWN" to the XCF message that comes up after a V XCF,sysname,OFF
even before I do a "system reset" on the HMC for that LPAR? That seems to
have been the "hang up" point. But I am not sure because I am, supposedly,
on vacation this week. I am not a happy camper.

--

Maranatha!
John McKown