On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:03:09 -0700, Paul Knudsen
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  >>Every once in a while someone pulls up a debugger tool, intending on
>  >>having that skill in our resume.   But when we actually need to debug,
>  >>we go back to the old way - displays in the code.
>  >
>  >Wasting time good for job security.
>
>  Every once in a while, we have time to waste - pulling up debugger
>  tools is as good of a way to fill that time as any.

<soapbox>
If a debugging tool is seen as a "waste of time" it is usually because
the installation hasn't put enough effort into tailoring it for local
use.

When we installed IBM Debug Tool in our shop, we altered all of our
standard compile procs to support the TEST option and to link in the
CEEUOPT module when needed.  All the programmer has to do is select
the TEST option on a panel and provide the VTAM LU of his debug
terminal  (We are on release 5.1 of DT, a bit back level.....I
understand later releases of DT have done away with this requirement).

We never use the IBM supplied ISPF dialog to set up our debug
sessions.  I am not knocking IBM, but their dialog, of necessity, has
to be generic, and like all generic tools requires a fair amount of
effort to use.

We also provided each developer with a private DB2 data base for unit
testing/debugging, and developed some in house tools to help them
maintain them.  This addresses data base contention concerns cause by
people sitting at a breakpoint.

Finally, we renovated our rarely used BTS environment to accommodate
all of these changes.

It is the programmer who puts Display messages in the code that is
"wasting time"

</soapbox>