>From an authorized assembler program, I've got just a JES jobid (JOBnnnnn)
and need to cancel it.  This needs to work with both JES2 and JES3.

There are two possible ways to do this, z/OS cancel or JES cancel.  Build a
command and issue SVC 34.

z/OS Cancel

A z/OS cancel (C jobname,A=asid) would be easiest since it works for both
JES2 and JES3, but since the jobname is used (not JES jobid), the jobname
might not be unique and require the additional A=asid parameter.  The
jobname can be looked up from the JES jobid using the subsystem interface,
but the asid is not available through this interface.  I'm not sure how to
start
with JES jobid (JOBnnnnn) and get the asid, although I can get the jobname.
Any ideas?

I've hit a dead end with this one, without the asid, I can't do a z/OS cancel.

JES Cancel

JES2 and JES3 have completely different syntax for cancel, so I have to know
which type I'm talking to.  The CVT points to the JESCT (the main JES
controlblock) which has a flag to test for JES2/JES3.  That's not too hard.

However, the JES2/JES3 commands are normally prefixed with $ (JES2) or *
(JES3), but that is really just the subsystem command prefix and could be
anything.

I can't find the subsystem command character.  It isn't in the JESCT or any
obvious place.  Any notion where that might be kept?  Maybe it can be gotten
through a subsystem interface call?

Without knowing what command character is used for the primary JES, I can
just default to $ for JES2 and * for JES3, but if a customer has changed that
from the norm, it won't work.

Any help on these issues or other approaches for cancelling jobs would be
much appreciated.

 - Mark