On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:19:34 +0200, Barbara Nitz wrote:

>Given that we had done the exact same thing in the past, I don't think that
there is *any* way to do 'cleanup' of the old structures. I tried all of the
force
commands way back when, they all got rejected. (And as that was a test
plex, I could take down the actual DB2/whatever connector, so that I wouldn't
accidentally catch anything wrong.)

>You cannot get rid of the connections, as that requires XES code to actually
go out to the CF and issue some sort of command. Remember, the connection
and the structure are *also* in the CF, not just in some control blocks in MVS.
Obviously XES cannot access the CF anymore, as it is *physically*
disconnected.

>Skips idea of activating a CFRM policy that does not contain the soon-to-be-
gone CF and then delete the connections and structures while XES can still
get at it is the right idea. The only other way is to do the initial IPL on the
new CFs with freshly formatted CFRM CDSs (which incidentally we always do -
guess why!).

The past is the past -- perhaps you should retry your experiments with
current software and see if things have changed?  My experience is recent
and it seems to be substantially different from yours.

The old connections to old CF structures are indeed gone - without going out
to the old CF to do it, so your explanation (above) seems to be in need of
additional data or additional experiments.

We kept our old CFRM - what we DID use was a new, different policy since the
old CF had a different model number (same serial#) as the new CF.  We
activated the new policy, FORCEd any non-pending structures and we were
good to go.

My guess as to why you do what you do is because you found a path that
worked for you.  That's fine, but there is another path that works... for me
and for Cwi, too.  (Once might be lucky but more than once in a row is
repeatable.)

--
Tom Schmidt