--------------------------<snip>--------------------------
Agreed. There are statistics and damn statistics. Numbers can be made to say anything these days.

Alternatives *are in the process of maturing*. They certainly are not there yet! I am amazed at the failure tolerance of distributed application systems. If it is broke, they spend more money on it without getting to the root cause: bad architectural design. The mainframe systems have never been given this kind of leeway.
And probably never will have this sort of leeway. Until IT management learns to place business needs first and platform second. They need to learn to select platforms based on business needs, not on PERCEIVED ease of use. And the advocates of smaller platforms better start thinking real hard about change control and quality control, backup and recovery, disaster recovery, and many of the other problems we've already addressed, in some cases very well, on those "dinosaurs" we call mainframes.